Good morning !! And welcome to the first in a series of blog posts I’m launching called ‘Behind the Brand’.
I thought it would be a great idea to get to know who is actually behind the brands we follow and like on the gram, especially as all the choices you make for your wedding are a huge consideration and investment.
Some services like a florist or photographer, for example, you will have numerous conversations and meetings with and therefore want to be assured that you’ll get along and have some common ground. Lets, face it, its so much easier when you hit it off with someone and they just get you – you get me?! It makes the whole process so much more calm and enjoyable and that’s what I aim to do with Blonde Army – empower you to enjoy the process!
So I’ve asked a bunch of wonderful wedding suppliers from all categories to give us a little insight into who they are. I’ll share their stories once a month but first up is….me!
- 1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your company
I’m Lianne, founder and creative director of Blonde Army. Blonde Army provides modern wedding and event design specialising in low-key luxury. I also aim to simplify and demystify wedding planning. I understand life is busy and hectic for engaged couples and although it’s so exciting and encouraging to have so much inspiration and choice available, it can be overwhelming so I aim to empower and educate couples to plan a day true to them and their story. One of the reasons I’ve started this blog series is so we can learn a little more about the industry and the suppliers available to us.
- 2. Where are you based and what areas do you cover?
I currently live in SE London so London and surrounding areas are my current territory. I do have a base in York and in The Lake District so often my work takes me there too. Basically I will travel anywhere my work requires me to – and if thats means the Bahamas then whats a girl to do ! No, seriously I do work internationally too and find that The Final Month plan I offer is invaluable to clients who are having a destination wedding.
- 3. What do weddings mean to you?
Weddings to me, mean a celebration of love between two people and them expressing that in whatever form they want. No rules, no pressures, just love and joy. Generally an incredibly designed party with good food, good tunes and good company.
- 4. As a professional in your field what are your 5 top tips regarding your craft?
- Make a list of your priorities. There is a wonderful amount of choice available today which can help couples plan a more personal day but it can be overwhelming and make you feel you need everything! Knowing what you both really care about will help you decide what is necessary and what isn’t and how to portion your budget accordingly.
- The dreaded B-word..budget, budget, budget! I can’t stress this enough and as an excel spreadsheet addict it’s the only way to stay on track and avoid any monetary stress.
- Don’t forget about each other and why you’re getting married in the first place. Once wedding planning commences it can be easy to get bogged down in all the details, the money, the meetings and you can find yourself not working as a team in decisions. Always make some time for each other and reconnect. Your wedding will last one day, your marriage will last a life time.
- Try to not put too much pressure on the day. Of course its a huge life moment and the amount of time and money you’re spending, I understand couples want everything to be perfect. But not everything will go to plan, thats just life, so the more relaxed you can be about it, the more you will enjoy it – trust me.
- Hire a professional to assist on the day. I can’t explain enough how valuable and special the time is in the lead up to the big day. There will be last minute things you’ve forgotten. You may have long distance family and friends arriving and you want to spend your time with them not rushing around finalising details. That’s where Blonde Army can help. Especially on the morning of your wedding day, you want to be feeling calm and present not worrying if the florist has arrived or the caterers laid the table correctly. To find out more click here.
- 5. What are couple’s main questions and concerns when they book you?
That they’ve forgotten something or that they still want control on the actual day. I come on board 4 weeks before for that very reason. We have time to go though everything in detail to ensure nothing has been overlooked. Also, that’s my job! I can highlight elements that haven’t even crossed their mind and again finalise it before the big day, so we limit anything going wrong or any surprises! By the time the wedding day arrives we have built a solid relationship full of trust and they can relax knowing they have paid for a professional.
- 6. What’s been the highlight of your career so far?
Honestly, every de-brief I have with my clients. Hearing how they felt the day went and their experience from their perspective is so humbling to hear. They genuinely have their best day and knowing I played a small part in that is such an honour.
Also, the suppliers I come into daily contact with. Whether that’s via social platforms or on a shoot or job. The amount of passion, creativity and motivation is so empowering and inspirational. It’s an exciting time to be in the wedding industry as it’s becoming more and more creative and individual and I’m so lucky I’m a part of it.
- 7. What would you love to see more in the wedding industry?
More transparency and more education from suppliers, so couples don’t feel ‘ripped off’ and suppliers don’t get asked for a discount. I think we need to help couples understand what goes into a service and how beneficial something is and why it is a certain price point. I’m also excited to find more untraditional venues becoming licensed so couples are less limited and can really can design a whole day more inline with who they are.
- 8. 5 things you’re loving in life at the moment?
- Coffee in bed on a sunday morning.
- Hot yoga – so sweaty but so good !
- Sea salt dark chocolate
- Documentaries on netflix
- Dr Marten boots – seriously so comfy and warm!